Sunday, March 4, 2018

They Burn All The Ends

IMG_8228

It's currently wind season in Nebraska, that time of year that usually occurs in late summer after the humidity starts to dissipate but the warmth is still sticking around or in late winter into early spring when the temps start to climb but again before the real heat of summer arrives. If it weren't for the relentless wind, we would almost have two enjoyable seasons in the land of corn and sweat.

IMG_8230

IMG_8234

IMG_8238

The plan was to head out to Malcolm and check out Lippy's new digs. The forecast had said it was going to get to be about 60 degrees with winds up to 20 mph, they were wrong on both parts. At the height of the day the temps reached 72° and the wind whipped up to a sustained 27 mph at one point, the temps were great but that wind left a little to be desired.

IMG_8240

IMG_8246_A
Fargo at the customary bridge beer stop, ain't she purdy?

IMG_8247

Once we hit the gravel we had more of a cross wind than a head wind heading out to Malcolm but the bridge stop was much appreciated none the less. Even bucking the cross wind required more effort than is normal and the legs were feeling the difference.

IMG_8249

IMG_8252

IMG_8256

Another longer break before Malcolm was not really in the plan but David is the consummate team player and decided to break his chain and allow the rest of us to recover for a bit while the chain was repaired.

IMG_8257

IMG_8259

IMG_8260

IMG_8263

As I said, Lippy's new location, across the street from their old location, is now open and it looks great; much bigger than the previous spot but with the same great food. I never made it out here when it was the Branched Oak Inn but I heard the stories about the place and I can see Lippy's becoming something similar for Lincoln and Malcolm. I have heard that the upstairs is going to return as a dance floor and live music venue when all is said and done. It's always good to see the little guy make it work in the age of conglomerates and chains.

IMG_8265

Of course no stop out to Malcolm would be complete without a stop at the Malcolm General Store, also a local mom and pop place and Malcolm gravel icon.

IMG_8268

IMG_8269

IMG_8272_A

Since the winds were picking up and were not going to subside anytime soon, we decided to head back the way we came and take the relatively flat NW 27th back into Lincoln. Of course we got in another bridge stop along the way back. Took the Fargo out for the ride on Saturday which might be breaking the fat bike part of the Saturday ride but it's such a great bike that I think it warrants bending the rules just a bit. I continued to be amazed by the bike every time I ride it and it makes me wonder why I waited so long to give the Fargo a legitimate try as a gravel bike, for me I think the thing that made me change my mind about the Fargo was the plus sized tires. To my way of thinking plus size, while folks can argue they aren't necessary, really make for a more comfortable gravel experience. I'm not the only one who has caught the Fargo bug this year, off the top of my head I can think of 5 other purple Fargos that are rolling around or will be rolling around Lincoln here soon. There is still a medium at the shop if you want to throw a leg over and see what it's all about.

IMG_8277

Not many pictures once we turned onto NW 27th and headed straight into the teeth of the headwind, it was a full out heads down effort just to maintain a decent speed and drafting was a necessity. Once back in the confines of Lincoln the usual peel off started and folks went whichever way took them home.

IMG_8278

IMG_8281

IMG_8282

Also as usual, some of us decided to get a few extra miles and hunt down something cold and malty to drink.

IMG_8283

IMG_8284

IMG_8285

Method has been displaying art each month from a different artist and they've all been good but the two current artists on display in March really intrigue me more so than previous artists. A little darker than previous displays but despite that the art is solid and really good and floats my boat.

IMG_8286

IMG_8288

IMG_8289_A

As is always the case, eventually it was time for the rest of us to part ways as well or head back to the shop to gather our vehicles. We even ran into Sarah on the way back... IN A CAR! I know she owns one but to be honest this is the first time I've ever seen her driving it in person, little bit weird if I say so myself.

Thanks to everyone who made it out, always a great time riding with you all. No ride next weekend as I'm helping out with the Run for the Bridges but we should be back in two weeks.

2 comments:

  1. The Fargo + is an interesting advancement on the least niche bike (IMHO) available. Even before the + frame, you could do a 27.5 with the 2.8" Rangers (on a second wheel set), 29s upto 2.3" or down to 32mm (on the stock rims). For a long while I used 32s for centurys, 2.1s for commuting and 2.3s for winter and did the 1/2 worlds last year on 40mm Happy Mediums. With the added capacity of the plus frame I think I could do everything I would normally do in a year on the same bike. I do wish they'd bring out a Ti version without the alternator dropouts, not a fan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've eyed the Fargo for years and even took a few for a spin but it just never seemed like it made sense for me, of course this was back in the days before getting into gravel more regularly. I also have a bit of an affinity for the plumper tire sizes, wouldn't catch me on gravel on anything smaller than a 40mm and that's even pushing it for me. That being said, riding this bike compared to the Farley or the Pugsley on gravel are way different in speed and easy of travel. Like you, I've found little use for the alternator drops but then again from a versatility standpoint I can see why they did it and it's nice to know that the option for single speed is there if absolutely necessary.

      Delete