Monday, May 6, 2024

Mid (South) Life Crisis

Time flies, not only when you're having fun, but pretty much all the time anymore. It seems like when you're a little human, under the care of and dependent on larger humans, you do nothing but wish that time would go faster. You want to be older, cooler, out on your own taking on the big world and making your place in it. Those days seem to creep by so utterly slow that you sometimes think you'll never be an adult and get to do all the cool things your parents don't do, they are practically wasting their lives sitting around watching TV! Once you reach your adultness and start to get your independence, say the years from 18-28 or so, time goes by a little bit quicker. Almost imperceptible at this age you barely realize the grains of sand in the hourglass of life have started falling at a quicker rate. Then you get into your 30s and you start to notice that time IS going by a little quicker, life is full of routines and the days seem to be way shorter than you remembered them "when you were a kid". That incremental increase in the time/space continuum seems to double overnight and you realize your not 30 anymore but you're now looking at the other side of 40 as well, things ache that never ached, foods that used to be your friends now give you a gut ache or worse, HAIR IS GROWING EVERYWHERE! I feel like, for the most part, I live that life I imagined I'd have as a kid. I'm always on the go, I'm still in pretty good health and I ride my bicycle several times a week, that's the upside. The downside is that if you're not really, really careful your timeline on life seems to go right past ludicrous speed straight to Plaid. So it is now, as I sit here writing this, that I realize that the Mid South was almost two months ago and I am just now finding time to blog about it.

Untitled

The Mid South has been going strong for 13 years now, and for 12 of those years I have not attended; unless you count the Incredibly Socially Distant version in 2020 but I think we'd all rather forget that year and move on. Part of the reason is because I didn't get into gravel really until about 2015 so any of them before then I was totally unaware of. Even after I became aware that the, then Land Run, existed it only appealed to me right up to the point where I saw pictures of the relentless orange mud and heard riders share their horror stories about bent bikes and bodies. I'm not much for riding in the mud and the N+1 factor back then was mostly just N so the thought of being out of a bike for weeks or longer waiting for repairs was enough to keep me away despite all the great things that seemed to surround the event. Despite all that the itch to see what it was all about was always right there in the back of my mind.

Untitled

Untitled

They weren't all bad years though as there were several years where the pictures of broken bikes were replaced with pictures of riders, bikes and everything else covered in orange dust better suited to Mars than the 3rd rock from the sun. The switch recently to riding single speed almost exclusively at events (on the bike designed specifically for the conditions at the Mud South) eliminating the worry about bent or broken derailleurs, a little FOMO and a lot of Jackie making up her mind that WE were going to do it this year led to us finding ourselves lined up on the morning of March 16th. Listening to Bobby Wintle on the mic and the sounds of King Cabbage while waiting for the gun to go off for the shorter distance of the Mid South, we knew this wasn't just some run of the mill gravel event. People flock to the Mid South despite the cold weather, despite the rain, despite the bike and body destroying orange mud that often shows up uninvited, not because they are masochists but because of what the Mid South has built down there in Stillwater. It's something that is difficult to explain, you just have to experience it yourself to understand. If this race is not on your to do list of gravel events, it really should be.

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

From the time your front wheel rolled across the timing mats to the hug at the end, there was never a time that you weren't surrounded by dozens of other riders. That was something we noticed early on, most races have that initial sprint of the rabbits, then the hounds who want to be rabbits who go out way too fast chasing them and then the rest of the field that just sort of settles into their own pace. In general that often equates to miles of lonely or near solitary miles but that was never the case here. The shorter route, I had heard, had 1000 riders in it. If you're not one who likes to grind out the miles in your own head, this might be the race for you as there will always be someone in earshot to talk to it seemed.

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Doug, Jackie and I did a modified quick "party pace" through the day as planned when we signed up. Bikes are fun, bikes with friends is funner and I am glad we got to share that time together. Rick caught up to us not too many miles from the end and our group of three became a group of four.

7U5A7573-(ZF-7070-94678-1-005)

7U5A7567-(ZF-7070-94678-1-004)

7U5A7565-(ZF-7070-94678-1-003)

7U5A7564-(ZF-7070-94678-1-002)

The "Bobby Hug" at the end really is that good, I think it's part joy of being done pedaling, part sense of accomplishment but mostly it's good because if feels sincere, it feels like an old friend giving you a hug after a long absences... it feels like, well, family.

Photo Aug 20, 12 53 00 PM

Photo Aug 20, 12 59 59 PM

While only my first time at the Mid South, I have to admit it was my second "Bobby Hug", I managed to sneak on in at the finish line of Gravel Worlds in 2022 when I shared a champagne dousing of the Women's 150 mile winner that year with Bobby. That may have help to tip the scales in favor of finally making it to the Mid South, If I'm being honest.

Untitled

I love the little gravel family that we have built, the times we've shared on and off the bike and the memories that will last well after our abilities to do these kinds of things fade into just memories. We could not have asked for better weather for Mid South and really lucked out with not just a dry year but temps were mild being in the 70s, winds were single digits all day and the slight overcast kept the need for sunscreen to a minimum. Top ten day in gravel and top ten event that I can now check off of my bucket list of gravel events that have to be attempted at least once.



Check out the Mid South video on YouTube!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment