Sunday, February 2, 2014

I Hear A Train A Coming

What this winter has lacked in snow this year it's more than made up for in bone chilling cold. This morning was no exception with actual temps being only 7 degrees but with all the driving lately for the new job riding time has become scarce and the weekends seem to be the easiest time to get a ride in.

IMG_4374_A

Met my nemesis at our usual rendezvous spot, what you can't see is that it brought company as there were two trains, one moving one sitting still. No choice but to turn around and back track to Old Cheney to slip into Wilderness Park.

IMG_4379

Plan B was met with another train... actually I'm pretty sure this was the stopped train from moments earlier now moving and in the way. Oh well, nothing to do but wait for it to pass.

IMG_4381_A

As I sat there waiting, cars piling up behind me just waiting to squish me when the gates went up... here comes yet another train. Hard to see in this picture but those three dots in the very right of the frame are those of a third, maybe fourth if the one in front of me is not the sitting one, train coming in just behind the current one.

IMG_4382

Gates finally went up and I pedaled my ass off for the 50ish feet from track to entrance into Wilderness without getting mangled by 2000 lbs of metal. Trails were in really good shape, freezing temps make the dirt almost as smooth and fast as pavement.

IMG_4383

Picked up a Relevate Designs mountain feed bag the other day at Cycle Works, wasn't quite a long enough ride to need anything to eat but last summer I saw Mr. Swanson throw his camera in one like this and thought it was a really good idea especially when wearing gloves. It might not be an official camera bag but with it being right there in easy reach and the ability to completely close and open it with one hand while riding it might get more than a little use as one.

IMG_4387

Fittingly came out of the trees to see this stopped on the tracks, lucky for me I didn't need to cross them this time... probably the most trains I've ever seen on that section of track in a 30 minute period of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment