Friday, May 17, 2019

All The Feels

IMG_4993

This week has gotten away from me, it's already Friday and I'm technically two blog posts behind so I'm just going to make them one post. They are similarly related so I'll allow it. Saturday was the Wear Yellow Nebraska Ride to raise awareness and money to help fight cancer. Wednesday was the annual Ride of Silence to raise awareness and as a memorial to those killed while riding their bicycle. The older I get the more aware I am of death and how unfair and uncaring it can be. When I was a kid I didn't think about cancer or people getting killed by motor vehicles while riding their bicycle but I know people affected by both now. The feelings were in full effect this week for sure. Probably not a lot for words on this post, what do you say about cancer and vehicular homicide that would explain why they happen and why there is seemingly nothing that can be done about either to stop it.

IMG_4998

IMG_5003

IMG_5005_A

IMG_5013

The last few years the skies always seem to be overcast and on the verge of raining and maybe that is fitting for this type of ride and all the misery that cancer has and continues to cause. Saturday Nebraska was putting on a spectacular cloud show, thankfully no rain fell on us.

IMG_5021

IMG_5028

IMG_5029A

IMG_5022

Despite the threat of rain the days leading up to the ride, the roads were in great shape. I am fortunate to have such a great group of friends to ride with, they make even the difficult rides a bit easier.

IMG_5113_A

IMG_5118

IMG_5133

IMG_5138

Wednesday was the Ride of Silence, a ride that didn't mean much to me a few years ago but has become personal in the last few years. It was good to see so many RG shirts and to see how many folks Randy has touched and who came out to ride for him and all of those killed while riding.

IMG_5142

IMG_5150_A

IMG_5165A

IMG_5172

IMG_5173

IMG_5175

Photo May 15, 8 00 11 PM

After the official ride some of us headed over for some ice cream, it was good to be able to socialize with people after and to be able to talk to them. I love the concept behind the Ride of Silence but ice cream is a universal bonding agent and talking doesn't hurt either.



No comments:

Post a Comment