Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Lethargically Energetic

IMG_7321

"I'm in a hurry to get things done, I rush and rush until life's no fun, all I really gotta do is live and die but I'm in a hurry and don't know why.”

I've never been a racer, I've tried it a time or twelve and probably will again but it's never really called to me like it does to some. I prefer to think of myself more as lethargically energetic, I enjoy getting out and being active but more at a pace that doesn't induce vomiting, lightheadedness or the strong urge to just lie down and die afterwards. This was one of the main reasons that the How To Train For A Century or Multi-day Ride clinic held by Cycle Works on Monday appealed to me. From the great turn out I can only deduce that I am not the only one who wanted to learn more about piling on the miles.

IMG_7338

Of course a few adult sodas never hurt either. 

IMG_7324

IMG_7326

First up was Susan Rodenburg, Susan and her husband Rich have been putting on the Tour de Nebraska for almost 30 years now so she is quite familiar with multi-day rides but she was there more to talk about the ride than how to prepare for one. This has always been one of those rides that have sounded interesting and after listening to her talk about it I think I might have to make plans to ride it one of the next few years.

IMG_7327

Next up was Jana Vavra, an endurance athelete and the first woman to ever finish the Trans Iowa race so she knows her poop.

IMG_7330

She had a lot of good information to share about tools, clothing, bicycles and nutrition.

IMG_7331

Probably the best piece of advice of the whole even is right here. If it's not fun or if you aren't having fun doing it, why do it?

IMG_7332

Batting cleanup was Cornbread talking about all of the great trails in and around Lincoln, it really is one of the gems of the city even if you are more of a walker/runner than a cyclist.

IMG_7334

Corey also shared a bit about how he sets up his bike and what things he carries with him on multi-hour or multi-day rides. I don't know about you but I have never seen that much titanium on one bicycle either, makes those tires look like 24" tires.

Lots of good info and insight were shared and just in time, I have some big rides on the calendar this year (122 miles on Good Friday, Tour of Dirt Roads is 87 miles, Odin's Revenge is 60 miles and Gravel Worlds is a solid buck fiddy) and could use all the help I can get so I definitely appreciate Cycle Works organizing this clinic. Maybe next year it's time to plan a few multi-day rides on a long weekend, your rides are only limited by desire, motivation and time... although people can always find time for things they really want to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment